Are you looking for new ways to reward yourself without using food? There’s nothing more counterproductive than working hard and exercising regularly, only to sabotage your efforts by overindulging!
In this blog post, we will explore 101 exciting ways to reward yourself without food. Whether you’re celebrating a personal achievement or simply need a pick-me-up, these treats will help you relax.
Let’s dive in and discover how you can indulge in self-care without indulging in food.
What is the Lure of Rewards?
Rewards are the pinnacle of progress. As humans, we often resist change unless it brings us pleasure or a feeling of control. When we receive a reward, our brains are stimulated to seek more. Striving for a reward can entice you to start, and receiving rewards along the way will keep you motivated. The trick is to find ways to reward yourself without food being the answer!
The Role of Dopamine
The two driving forces of human actions is to avoid pain and gain pleasure, and this is where dopamine comes in to play.
As we pursue our rewards, we learn and grow, sparking our brains to applaud us with a release of dopamine. This is a ‘feel good’ hormone that dates back through our evolution, controlling memory and encouraging behaviour that prolongs survival.
Dopamine plays a crucial role in the learning process. It prompts us to seek our rewards, and when its released regularly, it strengthens neural pathways in the brain to influence our future actions and form habits.
Types of Rewards
Staying motivated for a goal that is not visible and comes with no guarantees can be challenging. This is why visualisation and regular rewards are very effective. Milestone rewards help to create awareness and make the end goal more foreseeable.
The key is not giving up. Having milestone rewards along the way will help your motivation.
Read on to discover an array of pampering rewards, free rewards, fast rewards, and rewards centred around your achievement…
101 Exciting Ways to Reward Yourself Without Food
- Arrange a special catch-up with friends
- Take a day trip somewhere fun
- Explore holiday destinations and plan your bucket list
- Indulge in some romance on a date night
- Attend a concert or music festival
- Master your Karaoke singing skills
- Catch a movie that you really want to watch. Better yet, arrange a marathon night!
- Redecorate your bedroom or the whole house
- Play a game of snooker with fun stakes
- Try your skills at darts or archery
- Go ten-pin bowling
- Give bare foot bowling a go
- Paddle the waves in a Dragon Boat
- Get a manicure or pedicure
- Go on a mystery tour – if your town doesn’t offer one, then pick some random places in the surrounding area and start exploring
- Try your luck with a lottery ticket or scratchies
- Get creative with crafts and make yourself something fun
- Take up life drawing!
- Attend a paint and sip party (more painting, less sipping)!
- Visit an escape room with your friends
- Get into gardening with your favourite plants
- Treat yourself to a massage
- Host a games night an impromptu party
- Have a go at Horseback riding
- Plan your next holiday for 6 months time, ensuring you have a break!
- Check out a local nightclub and let your hair down
- Create cute garden pots to sell at the markets
- Dare to get a tattoo
- Venture into the world of gaming
- Go camping with family or friends
- Spend an afternoon skating
- Organise a babysitter and have a day completely to yourself
- Create your own ‘zen’ room for timeout
- Get into Yoga or pilates
- Take a short cruise
- Try creative writing and share with other artists online
- Spend an evening at a local sports club with friends
- Participate in community event (try something you wouldn’t usually do)!
- Shop for luxurious skin care
- Start a new DIY project that appeals to you
- Try pottery or ceramic painting
- Stay at a cute B&B in your local area
- Treat yourself to a new book
- Join a book club with likeminded people
- Get a facial
- Dare to order an amazon mystery box, you never know what you’ll get!
- Try acupressure
- Have a game of golf or mini golf
- Attend a sporting event
- Have some giggles at a comedy club
- Visit the zoo
- Soak in a warm spa
- Buy something for the house from Kmart
- Get a shampoo and blow-dry at the hairdresser
- Tally up your reward points and get something nice
- Join a dance class
- Get a paint-by-numbers kit and create a masterpiece
- Try local tours in your area
- Give yourself a guilt free night to do whatever you want
Rewards Centered Around Your Achievements
Made some achievements so far? Show it off and celebrate!
- List down all your proudest achievements and hang them somewhere for a constant reminder
- Use apps to log your progress and compare your results between now and 6 months ago
- Buy yourself a new workout outfit
- Share your progress on social media
- Buy new gym equipment
- Create a photo collage of your body transformation
- Try something you used to find difficult and marvel at how you’ve improved (swimming, biking, etc)
- Buy a piece of art of a photograph that inspires you
- Get a full make-over, dress up and take some glam shots for your Instagram profile
- Start a blog, sharing your thoughts and success!
If you’re worrying about blowing the budget, don’t fret. There are plenty of ways to reward yourself without parting with cash.
- Spend a day at the beach
- Volunteer for a cause you’re passionate about
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of a sunrise session with your coffee
- Have a bubble bath or a long hot shower
- Create a home day spa – experiment with YouTube hair and makeup tutorials
- Find a podcast that intrigues you or makes you laugh.
- Spend an afternoon at free venues like the museum, art galleries, community theatres, libraries or exhibitions
- Take some sunset snaps at a high vantage point and soak up the views
- Go stargrazing with a loved one and enjoy one another’s company
- Kick back with some Trashy TV or whatever your guilty pleasure is!
- Experiment with meditation
- Go on a Haunted House hunt and check out all the spookiest places in town
- Master a new party trick that’ll blow people’s minds
- Play cards – you may even win some cash on poker!
- Skype a friend you haven’t talked to in awhile
- Create a wish list on Amazon.com – digital window shopping can be fun
- Test-drive your dream car
- Go hiking and get back in touch with nature
- Take a leisurely bike ride
- For just a couple of dollars you can enjoy a massage chair at the shopping centre
- Visit a pet store or animal shelter for some furry love
Sometimes life just gets too darn busy. Here are some fast rewards that can have you feeling better the same day.
- Buy yourself flowers or a nice plant
- Skip your cleaning day
- Play with your kids – don’t worry about organising them, just be with them
- Try aromatherapy – certain scents can promote ease and relaxation
- Get a tarot card reading
- Go for a joy ride around town
- Put up some fairy lights around the house or garden to create a cozy atmosphere
- Journal about your goals as if you’ve already achieved them and are experiencing the results
- Colour in an adult colouring book
- Have a guilt-free nap
- Have some playtime with your pets, you will both love it!
How to Choose a Good Way to Reward Yourself without Food
When it comes down to it, you should pick rewards that jump out at you. What types of activities and environments appeal to you most? Select a reward that brings you satisfaction and matches the level of your achievement. Consider immediate and longer-term options, but most importantly, choose what genuinely motivates you.
Work Hard and Treat Yourself!
There are endless ways to reward yourself without food included. Whether its treating yourself to spa day, indulging in a new book, or embarking on a min adventure, the options are vast.
Choosing ways to reward yourself without food can cultivate a healthier relationship with both your body and mind while still acknowledging and celebrating your achievements. Remember, self-care and self-love come in many forms, and finding what truly brings you joy is the key to sustainable and fulfilling rewards.
And remember, hard work pays off!
Got a reward that isn’t mentioned here? Share your ideas and help grow this list.